Friday, October 16, 2015

All-Natural Healing: Have You Tried Oil Pulling?

If you have read my initial post on coconut oil, you know that my love for this particular oil is deep.

And I'm trying something new, starting today; it's called oil pulling.

Source: Food Matters

What is oil pulling?

Oil pulling is an Ayurevedic treatment that involves using a tablespoon of extra virgin oil, putting it in your mouth, & swishing it around for a minimum of 5 minutes before spitting it out (Source: Food Matters).


What made me want to try oil pulling?


I've heard about oil pulling a few times before and the reviews were always good. But I didn't actually decide to try it until a few weeks ago when a friend of mine--my namesake actually (Hey, girl!)--told me that oil pulling actually cleared her sinuses. Say what?! She no longer needs to use medicated nasal sprays because the oil apparently makes her entire upper respiratory system completely free from congestion. 

I had a stuffy nose last night, so this morning I said make I try this one, sha, especially since it's au natural!

And seeing as how it's October now and Lagos weather is transitioning from wet season to dry season, this is the time of year when a lot of folks (especially those with allergies) could be catching colds or experiencing stuffy noses, ears and eye irritation, or just general upper respiratory wahala. So I figured it may be helpful to share this info..


How do I do my oil pulling?

I talk about it in detail in another post which I'll publish tomorrow, with pictures! Watch this space. 

How often will I be oil pulling?

For now I think I may just do it once or twice a day. The ideal for me would be in the morning and at night before bed.

What's my reaction?

Even though I didn't like the feeling and taste of the coconut oil in my mouth (I was pretty grossed out by the sliminess to be honest), I'm shocked at how well my nose cleared. I've been taking deep breaths all morning just to enjoy the fact that both of my nostrils are unclogged! What it do, boo?! I even oil pulled at night. But this is only Day 1 so we'll see how the other days go.

How long will I do the oil pulling?

I'm not sure. I'd like to just play it by ear.


What are your thoughts on oil pulling? 

No comments:

Post a Comment